- We believe that diversity is critical to maintaining excellence in all of our endeavors.
- We seek to foster open-mindedness, understanding, compassion and inclusiveness among individuals and groups.
- We are committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue, in a respectful and civil manner, on the spectrum of views held by our varied and diverse campus communities.
- We value differences as well as commonalities and promote respect in personal interactions.
- We affirm our responsibility for creating and fostering a respectful, cooperative, equitable and civil campus environment for our diverse campus communities.
- We strive to build a community of learning and fairness marked by mutual respect.
- We do not tolerate acts of discrimination, harassment, profiling or other conduct causing harm to individuals on any basis.
- We acknowledge that modern societies carry historical and divisive biases based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, and religion, and we seek to promote awareness and understanding through education and research and to mediate and resolve conflicts that arise from these biases in our communities.
Office of the Vice Chancellor Student Affairs - Diversity Programs
For the purposes of our work in Student Affairs, the concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These differences can exist along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, disability, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies and thought. It is about the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity shared by each individual and woven together.